Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Contemplating Training

Alas, my three difficult, monotonous years of training has come to a halt. Plenty of ISS (International Space Station) crew members return from space missions proclaiming that the training is twice as hard as the actual missions, but yet I am still lost in this emotional realm of anxiety. It will be my very first space mission, and I am put in charge of all the flight engineering. I do consider myself an expert in this field, especially after all the training, but I must admit that it is extremely nerve-wrecking because the flight engineer is responsible for overseeing the systems on the space shuttle during flight to confirm that they are all functioning properly and enact repairs or corrections if necessary. It is a crucial role indeed for it determines the outcome of the entire mission. Even if a minor error was to take place during flight, and the engineer did not repair it in time, it could mean failure or even death. But despite the risks of the expedition, I am excited and thrilled to go to space, a place that always seemed so unexplored and mysterious. I honestly don't understand why I'm so nervous, but at least I shall be discharged from the rigorous training I faced for three years. I am ready for the many challenges that I will be required to face during this important mission to repair the Hubble space telescope.

No comments:

Post a Comment